It may sound crazy; let food rot to keep it longer. Yet that is exactly what happens during fermentation. And while the process is immensely popular today, it has been practiced since time immemorial. De Verserij is not averse to a bit of rottenness. Besides the extended shelf life, fermentation also means: extra flavor!
Three fermented products from our range come together in this recipe: sourdough bread, kimchi and a real vegetable "butter". The result? A vegan toast that even makes you forget the avocado version!
(for 2 toast, 1 large or 2 small portions)
• 2 slices of Whole Wheat Leaven small
• 100 grams of Kimchi Kraut
• 50 grams of Fermented Butter
• Pepper and salt to taste
• 2 Spring onions
• 1 Lime
• 3 sprigs of Coriander
• 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
The Kitchen Helpers
• Food processor with mixing bowl or hand blender
• Toaster, oven or airfryer
• Small bowl
The method of preparation
1. Use the food processor or hand blender to blend the Kimchi Kraut and Fermented Butter into a smooth mixture. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Finely chop the spring onions and put them in a small bowl along with the coriander leaves. Cut the lime in half and add a squeeze of the juice to the spring onion and cilantro mixture.
3. Toast the sandwiches and spread generously with the kimchi butter. Finish the toast with the mixture of spring onion, coriander and lemon and finally sprinkle with sesame seeds.